Β 
  • Life on the Veg

DIY Herb Garden using a Wooden Pallet πŸ› οΈπŸ‘©β€πŸ”§πŸŒΏ

Social distancing and isolation have left us with time to start (and usually not finish) a hundred different DIY projects. We had a wooden crate in our garden, and I set about YouTubing what I could do with it.

Low and behold, in amongst a load of ideas, was this one! Build your own DIY herb garden. Last year we built a cat tree (which they hateπŸ˜‘πŸ˜Ό), but luckily it meant we had the wood stain, nails and sandpaper already. Add that the pallet and we were ready to herb and roll.πŸ˜ŽπŸ€™


I mean herbs are like 25% of Veganism right? The other 75% being grass of course. 😜


I love the idea of grabbing a few sprigs of this and that when needed, so this was right up our street.


Here's what you'll need:

1 wooden pallet

Nails

Hammer

Sand Paper

Wood Stain (or whatever colour paint you'd like it to be)

Gravel

Soil

Herb seeds or ready to pot herbs


Method:

1. Remove middle panels of pallet like so:

2. Use the two places to make the bottom of your herb boxes (the bottom of the crate won't need it as the floor will act as the bottom of that box.)

3. Sandpaper it down to make it as smooth as possible, then use the wood stain to coat. Coat it until you get the desired effect.

4. Use black bin liners to line the boxes. Cut them into shape, use staples to hold it in position and neaten up the edges.

5. Put gravel or stones in a layer at the bottom of each box and top with soil. Either plant seeds or herbs you already have and give it a good water to help the soil and roots to fall into each other.

For extra guidance, have a look at this vid, and watch the segment from 1:55 - 3:15. I love their use of blackboard paint, but alas, we have to make do with what we already had, so we used white stain. We planted basil seeds in the bottom two trays, and the other herbs you see are Oregano, Tarragon, Rosemary, Chives, Chinese Cress and Parsley.🌿🌿🌿

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOBvBFTTvOI


Enjoy growing your herbs and stay safe Vego's! πŸ’šπŸŒ±



57 views0 comments
Β